Friday, October 26, 2007

Book Review- A Thousand Splendid Suns

I read this book last- after very good reviews from friends and the Internet alike. Picked it up in a book sale at B&N. I should say- it totally rocks. The story revolves around two major characters- Mariam and Laila- women in Afghanisthan. It is their story painted against the backdrop of war-torn Afghanistan.Without getting too melodramatic or patriotic, the author beautifully describes how innocent people of this beautiful and ancient nation have suffered- all because the so-called super powers ( US and USSR). Merely a pawn in the hands of external forces, the book talks about how a peaceful religion society is totally torn and made into religious fanatics.
The small things that we taken for granted- like food, peace, education,non-violence,- are so tough to find in a war-ridden country. It is a tale of the friendship of two women, who are forced to grow up early , both married as child brides to a violent man. The bonding they share and the common agonies they go through is all they have.

A very good read- "Un-put-downable"!

2 comments:

Preethi said...

hey got here from kodimeow... so this is good eh?? I should read it!! I have read Kite Runner and loved that!!

Daisy said...

@Preethi,
oo yeah- you should..it is very good..