TV came to India ( or to the small little town I grew up in ) in the mid 80s , when I was about 5 or 6 years old.
The earliest programs I remember from that age are
- Kanmani Poonga and Wonder balloon—These were kids program which were primarily talent shows for various schools. Kids used to play skits/ put up dances/ sing/ anything worth showing off.
- Mahabharatha/Ramyana/Krishna leela—Who did not watch these programs??
- He-man--- Need I say more ?
- Circus/Fauji/Gul Gulshan Gulfaam – Fauji was “the now famous “ Shah Rukh Khan’s launch. I loved circus too.In fact, my aunt ( who was in college at that time) used to love Shah Rukh Khan. I thought he looked like a mass of chapati dough.I don’t remember “Gul” too much. All I remember is that it was set in Kashmir and it was a about a large family with many daughters.
- Vanna kolangal- This was hilarious. It was SV Sekar’s direction and it rocked!
- Oliyum Oliyum- I continued to watch this all through childhood and college. This was a 30 min program playing hit songs on Friday nights. Man, it was such a craze.
- Chithrahaar- This was the Hindi version of Oliyum Oliyum.Loved this one too.
- Rangoli - Who can forget Rangoli? The only reason I got up early( 7 am!) on Sundays was to watch this program.
When I was around 13 or 14 years old( mid 90s), we started getting cable and satellite television.We ventured into a whole new World of English sitcoms and comedies.
- Oshin- A Japanese sitcom about a young girl’s life . This was dubbed in English and was a absolute rage
- Wonder Years - How can you NOT love the adorable Kevin Arnold? I recently discovered that it is being telecast on a local TV ! I also found out that my childhood best friend absolutely loved this sitcom too and we never ever spoke about it!In retrospect, I do think he sorta looked like Kevin himself :).
- Doogie Howser- Started watching this when I was 15 or so and had a total crush on Neil Patrick Harris :).
- Small wonder-The adorable Vicky stole many hearts. My sister and I used to watch this as soon as we came back from school.It still brings back memories of milk and tiffin while watching Small wonder.
- Full house- The adorable Olsen twins! Loves John Stamos too. He was just so handsome.
- FRIENDS- One obsession that started when I was in high school and has continued till date. I am a fanatic- I have all 10 seasons on original DVDs and I still HAVE to watch re-runs on TBS .
I think this list is endless- but I will stop here and reminisce about all the good old days!
Count Dracula- Book Review
4 years ago
5 comments:
Only the other day I was thinking hard to remember the name of the Japanese serial! Thanks for reminding me :) But did they complete the serial at all?! I thought they stopped it abruptly!
Oh yeah! Those were the good old days!!
Brings back memories :)
Thanks for stopping by my blog.
@anon,
Good old days!I dont remember if they comepleted it- was too long aso.
If you enjoyed the memories, do leave a name.. :)
@ddmom,
Yep.. it sure does. thanks for visiting too.
Nce post.. brought back some nice memories!!
@ Preethi,
Thanks :)
Post a Comment