I miss home all the time ..but Diwali is especially hard. My mom, being the one that loves shopping, used to buy looooooooooots if dresses during the "aadi thallupadi" itself(July sale).The prettiest of those would be reserved for Diwali. oo Alas, but she would give into the Diwali sale pressure again and buy more dresses for me and sis during Diwali sale ! it used to such fun. Releasing new outfits everyday to school.We would also buy looooooooooots of crackers well in advance.Then the cracker competitions would start- who can fire the most number of crackers etc. one or two weeks before Diwali, all the sweet and savories would be prepared at home. All the awesome goodies to look forward to everyday after school!
Now that both sis and me are in the US, my mom is feeling very blue- that she doesn't get to shop as much!I am blue too-- nothing for Diwali . o Sob sob! This year Diwali falls on a Thursday- heck I don't even get a day off! I will go to work in my boring clothes, o work, eat crappy food and come back to a sad and lonely house.. not fair!
On the brighter side, I am inviting two friends and their significant others home for the lunch, on the Saturday after Diwali. Looking for ward to some dressing up, good food and great company!
***********************************************************************
When I was very new to California, I went to Macy's and saw this very sweet Indian lady. She spoke very kindly and I told her that I was new to the area and so on. We exchanged phone numbers and I was very happy at having made a friend.She called me after a week and started with the "Amway" proposition! God! what is with these people?!Now I am very wary of overtly friendly people- especially desis!
No comments:
Post a Comment