So we bought a house and moved 3 months ago. That's old news.How is it going so far? Fabulous.
We have settled down fully ,thanks to both sets of parents who were here to help us out. Now that parents have gone back home, the house feels so empty.Especially on days when I get back home early and HD isn't around- it feels to empty. I want the parents back. waaaaaaaaaaaah!I know I am being unreasonable.When I look at our home, I swell with pride at how far we have come. We came to this country with 2 suitcases each as poor graduate students. TOUCH WOOD! There is one small problem though. It doesn't feel like home yet.I still miss my childhood home. When does that change? More importantly, do I really want that to change? Something to think about...
*************************************************************************
I was watching a talk show in a Tamil channel where they were arguing about the pros and cons of a working mom.They had parents on one side and their children on the other side of the debate.Now I think of myself as a feminist. I will not do something "just because I am a woman". That is one argument that is sure to get no time from me.
As I watched the children speak,I began to realize the impact of having both parents going to work. Don't get me wrong- both my parents are doctors and my mom has never taken a break, except for her two pregnancies.We had the luxury of always having family around.My aunt/uncle/grandparents were a constant feature in our house.Honestly though, I did miss my mom. I should also say that she id a pretty good job of being in our lives and making sure we did our home work and feeding us food and all that.
She could afford to do that- we lived in a small town and had relatives in neighboring towns.We had full time house help at home who were more like family than hired help.
Can I do the same thing when my time comes? Will I be able to balance my family and work?Given that I live in a land that is far away from my home land and I have no immediate family to support me, is it going to be feasible?Only time can answer I guess...
Count Dracula- Book Review
4 years ago
7 comments:
hmmm.......difficult question!sth i;ve been thinking too!Bt i guess we'll be able to..perhaps even our parents thought the same when they stepped into married life ...
Let me summarize the post.
You want your parents with you and you need somebody to take care of your kids.
The solutions sticks out a mile.:)
-Ram
aahaan! looks like you are thinking of planning a family.
Don't ask me about the SAHM and the working mom debate. I am going through it now! I am figuring out whats gonna work ..stil! But I would say follow your heart and make your own choice...whenever you reach the point! All the best!
And yes best wishes for moving to a new home. May you have loving memories here.
I am always tied to two different parts of the globe and sounds like you are too...
Hey
Second part very though provoking. But as usual I am sure our generation will find a way to get through it.
Every desi's dilemma la. Want parents with you, but cannot go back to India, its all a compromise. Life is.
not having kids is another solution, but you are gonna hate me for proposing that one mate
Your (and his) parents can help you out the first few months while you learn the tricks.
Nannies are always there to help you out if you are ok with the idea.
Day care can take over once you start working.
Nevertheless, it a challege that anyone need to accept (mentally) to cope up physically :-)
Post a Comment