Tuesday, February 12, 2008

My house

We all have fond memories of the house we grew up in. Most of the people in our parents’ generation did not really move jobs/ places too often and hence most of us grew up in a single house for the majority of our school/college days.


My parents built their house when I was 10 years old and sis was 5.I was in class 5. I loved the fact that I was getting my own room. We had a huuuuuuuuuuge "Grihapravesham" ceremony in Feb 1991.I used to go a nearby school and so I cycled to school. Soon, I went to a different school and made a lot of friends- all of them loved my house- because it was huge and had a lot of play area.

Many a summer days spent lazily in the sunny living room or balcony munching on snacks and readiung umpteen Enid Blytons( and Mills & boons, Sidney Sheldons, Jeffrey Archers etc) !

We even had a small shed in the back yard- that would be our "meeting place" for the fantabulous four group formed by me, sis and 2 other siblings from the opposite house. sigh igh- we even had a secret password(which I wouldnt disclose to my sis and make her beg me for hours before I would let her in).

Our first dog- who died when I was in college was brought to our house when I was 11.

The sprawling lawns - we actually had a small fountain, which was eventually destroyed by our beloved Caesar.

After I came to the US, I used to dream often that I was in my room and that I was going over my clothes in my cupboard. I know it sounds silly- but that is how much I miss my house!


My sis and I share a middle name and that is the name of our house as well. This is the house that I remember from the time we laid the foundation to the happiness of seeing the completed and decked up house. My dad used to be paranoid about people keeping their hand on the wall and dirtying it.


Sis and I grew up from being scrawny kids to adults in that house.

What prompted this rant?

My parents sold our house and moved to a place more convenient for them :(. So, I can never ever go back to my house- ever again! sob sob sob! I hate change! My (unborn) kids will not get to see the place that holds so many memories for me.

9 comments:

Loga said...

jus thought of checking your blog again..and here i see a new post....nee sonna mathri sila veedugal thaan namma manasil
aazhalama irukkum,for me it was my uncle's home always and when the house is changed/sold, its sometimes hard to accept it, but atleast what we can try is tell those interesting stories to kids :-)

Daisy said...

@ Loga,
hehe.yeah I know- I just miss our house terribly . Somebody else just moved into our house and I cannot bear to think that some one else is sleeping in MY ROOM!

It is going to be sooooooooooo weird when I go to India next :).

Aryan-Arjun said...

Yes your unborn kids will miss this glory...
Aryan's mom

Daisy said...

@ Aryan's mom
:(

surbhi said...

your childhood sounds very similar to my own childhood spent with my sis...similar books, secret codes, fantastic fours.. :)

Just Like That said...

Awww. Daisy, I'm so sorry.
I know how hard it is to see something else(somebody else in your case)in the place of the home you grew up in. My Mom's house where we grew up, was sold, and now there's some huge complex coming up there. and you know what, I don't miss the house so much as I mis the trees. I spent half my playtime on them. And here, Sonny boy doesn't even have a tree to look at!! Sigh!

Daisy said...

@ NC,
Really??! hmm ! I guess most kids growing up in the 80s/ 90s dis similar things...

@ JLT,
Thanks dear.yes- it is very sad that the kids wont get to experience what we did :)!

Bargavi Karthik said...

Hi..How r u??yes..i too heard it from my parents.Even i remembered ur home and ur drwing room...i too had njoyed my home a lot..but now..tho in india i hardly go there..its been more than a year since i last visited:(

Daisy said...

@ Baru,
Welcome baaaack from your looooon g hiatus..

I know about your very infrequent trips.. your parents told me about it :)it sucks- doesnt it?

Thanks for stopping by.. hope to see more of you in the blogdom!