Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Experiments- Theeyal

This dish brings back memories of childhood. This is a typical Kerala dish and was my grandmother's specialty. My sister pointed me to its recipe on a blog, last week and I immediately wanted to try it out . So, made it on Saturday and I must say it was 70% there :).

I wanted to jot down the recipes I try - because I tend to forget them after I try them once. This way,I don't have to hunt for the original source- rather I can just check my blog :)

So, feel free to skip this post- because this is mostly for my own sake ( as opposed to the other posts which I write for good will and world peace ;))

1) Saute Red chillies , Shallots,coriander seeds, garlic, pepper,curry leaves until they are roasted. Add coconut and fry till it becomes dark brown.

2) grind the above mixture into a smooth paste.

3) Soak tamarind in water.

4) Saute onions, mustard, urad dal,methi(vendhayam), curry leaves one red chili, asofotida. Add boiled Suran and the tamarind water. add turmeric powder / chili powder/salt. add the ground paste and let it boil till it becomes thick.

yummy yummy theeyal ready!

No comments: