Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Experiments:- Arachuvitta sambar

Although I am from Tamil Nadu, I hate its signature dish- sambar. I cannot stand it!
But give me my traditional arachuvitta sambar and I absolutely love it :). This is a more involved recipe than the standard sambar.I had made this last weekend( along with poondu rasam/ beans curry and chepankizhangu roast - yum!).

1)Pressure cook thuvaram paruppu (toor dal) and keep aside.
2)Dry roast kadala paruppu(channa dal), methi seeds, coriander seeds, coconut ( 2 tbs), jeera, red chilies, curry leaves. Grind into a fine powder.
3)Fry mustard seeds,jeera,curry leaves in a little bit of ghee.
4) Fry shallots ( and any other veggies you want to add- drum sticks/okra etc) in a pan.
5) Mix the pressure cooked lentils and ground poweder with this.
6) Add tamarind extract / salt/ asofoetita / turmeric powder.

awesome arachuvitta sambar is ready!

3 comments:

Praveen said...

And you are back! :)

SK said...

I love arachuvitta sambhar!! :--))

MK said...

WOWWWW !!!! Mouth watering!!!and the tirupathi bhimas lunch menu is reallyyyy inviting :)