Thursday, April 19, 2007

Abhishwarya saga?

Read a recent blog here about the "inappropriateness" of Aishwarya playing the protagonist's role in the true life story-- Provoked.
This got me thinking- Why do we hate Aishwarya so? I realized that I do agree with MM in all her views.Is it because she is beautiful/wealthy/suave? Not really..
There are lots of actors like her- Kajol, for instance, is a very straight forward and non-diplomatic lady.In spite of her well known "temper", everybody loves her. Take south Indian Actress Jyothika-She got married to dashing actor Surya, amid much fanfare.Everybody was happy for the couple, mainly because of their clean and straightforward image.

Then what is it that makes us hate Aishwarya so?Hypocrisy! When she campaigns around the world for women empowerment and equality of gender,she goes around meekly with her parents in law marrying a tree because she is a "manglik"?? Whats next? Bringing loads of dowry to the Bachhans?Its one thing to be pious and another to be downright superstitious!!
I don't want to call her the face of Indian women- that is an insult to Indian women.


Edited to add :-
One of my friends commented on this post and I replied to him thus-

Yes. I do think that she is always artificial and very "put on", if you know what i mean. I also think that that is her own prerogative.She can be plastic and put on -- and think that being artificial makes her a diva and all that. It bothers me only when she is "claimed " to be the face of Indian women.. think about it-- the only reason we do it is because she is pretty.If she wasn't a great looking women, would she be claimed as the face of Indian women? And does that say that the most impressive feature about Indian women is a pretty face???!! ridiculous!

3 comments:

Long John Silver said...

yea - i agree with it to a certain extent

Am sure youve seen the Letterman show - when she appeared on that show

it just seemed like she was so artificial and her lines seem reharsed

i might well be wrong - but i think i can see whether someone is natural and spontaneous or not ....

she mught ve been nervous too - but yea - I agree, she definitely isnt very natural -

Daisy said...

@ Deepak,
Yes. I do think that she is always artifial and very "put on", if you know what i mean. I also think that that is her own prerogative.She can be plastic and put on -- and think that being artificial makes her a diva and all that. It bothers me only when she is "claimed " to be the face of Indian women.. think about it-- the only reason we do it is because she is pretty.If she wasnt a great looking women, would she be claimed as the face of Indian women? And does that say that the most impressive feature about Indian women is a pretty face???!! ridiculous!

Just Like That said...

yayyyy! another Ash basher! :-D

I used to think at times that we are very petty for reading every single thing about her and criticising.. I mean she never asked for all the eulogies, and we don't really have to read through it all....
but your post made me feel better about my 'pettiness'.


Yeah, she hasn't done ANYthing worthwhile, other than being a pretty face, but everybody goes ga ga over her. God knows what for!! Shabana Azmi, Nandita Das etc are such better actors and personalities than her, and much preferred to represent the face of Indian women- dignified, graceful, with a beauty of spirit, with a sense of values they believe in and live by, and practising what they preach.

Yayyyy!!!! Welcome to the Ash Bash club.