Monday, April 14, 2008

Full circle

Birthdays

0-5 years - Parents made a big fuss. Grandparents, uncles and aunts landed at our place two days before my birthday for the big event , every year. I was the first grandchild on both sides and the only grandchild till my sis was born 4.5 years after me.

5-12 years-Parents still made a huge fuss.Grandparents still landed at my place on the d-day. Aunts and Uncles had their own children to take care of- but they still made it a point to call or land on the following weekend.Lots of presents from everyone. Neighborhood kids were called home for cake and snacks.Maternal grandmother gave me a pattu pavadai(silk skirt) every year, until I was 11 or 12.I took chocolates to school and was the center of attraction for the day(week?). Sister gave me hand made gifts :).

13-17 years- Teenage rebellion. Parents tried to make a huge fuss- I thought it was "uncool" and rebelled .Looked forward to gifts from friends. Grandparents , uncles and aunts called. Lots of cards and gifts from friends and sister. The trend was to get Hallmark cards and those plastic stands with cliched words :). Felt special back then though.Sister and I had a competition on who gets the most number of cards/calls on our respective birthdays,in a given year.

18-21 years- Was away at college. Friends showed up at 12 to "surprise" and smear cake on me.Parents called. Grandparents mumbled about not being able to meet their favorite granddaughter on her birthday. I was acting too cool for them.Classmates and friends gave me umpteen cards and gifts.Sister and I still compared notes on number of calls/cards.

22-26 years - In the US of A.Roomies and friends showed up at 12 with a cake.HD would call (we were living in different places for 4 of the 5 years) and make sure to send me a gift.Went to school/work and the day was normal. Parents called and mourned the geographical distance.
No more real cards- only ecards.

27years old -It was a Sunday. HD had to work. Sweet friends showed up at 12 with a cake and gifts.Parents , in-laws and many friends called through the day to wish me. Sister sent me a sweet puppy (Soft toy) that looks like it is sleeping , complete with the breathing action.HD gifted me a neat shirt and trousers, a skirt and a top.
Friends wished me on orkut( no more ecards!).

I spent the whole day missing parents,grandparents, uncles, aunts,cousins and sister.

Life has come a full circle !

15 comments:

MK said...

hahahhaha...Nice one....You have more to come dear :)

surbhi said...

A very HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you!!!
When was it??
Wish you a long, happy, peaceful, healthy, and prosperous life :)

Anusha said...

and bloggers left belated comments :)

happy 27! (yesterday?)

Daisy said...

@ MK,
Oo yeah I do :)

@ NC,
Thanks .. was last weekend..

@ Kodi's mom,
How are you? thanks.. yep..

Aryan-Arjun said...

Hei..belated Happy birthday....nice way to recall the birthdays....Good your sweet freinds turned up...
AM

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday, Daisy!

By Deepa and Supriya said...

Happy b'day daisy!

Ram Srinivasan said...

Akka (ore, the senti) happy birthday:).

Poppins said...

So sorry I missed your birthday (by a WEEK! Horrible. Bah). Hope you had a good one.

I was so darn sure I left a comment on your Raindrops on Roses post, but couldn't find it (I hate blogger, move to wordpress ! :)

Anonymous said...

Hi daisy,

Well written,was interesting to read.
After reading,i had concentric circles(flash back ) in my mind which took me back to all my birthdays.

I'm regular visitor ur blog. Just happened to leave u a comment.

Bye
Teddy

Daisy said...

all,
thanks...

Poppin's mom,
Welcome back and thanks.. hmm blogger ate the comment- huh? sigh..! i just about got around to changing the template-- wordpress, when I do have more fodder for the blog :)

@ Teddy,
Thanks.. glad you wrote to say hello ;)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Daisy said...

@ anon,
go to hell!

Just Like That said...

OOOOOH Daisy, am so sorry I missed your special day.. HAPPPPY Belated B'day, girl! Many many happy returs, and may you have your whoole family around you for your next one.. :-D

Daisy said...

JLT,
cmon- too old for bdays now..thanks thanks.. and I loooove your wish and hope it comes true :)