Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Parzania- Movie review


I watched this movie on Friday night with HD. To say that it was moving is such an understatement.I was in the US when the Gujarat riots happened.So, i did not experience the emotions first hand.I only had news items and second hand narrations to rely on. Boy, did this movie do justice to conveying the emotions!
It is a true story of a family torn apart during the Gujarat riots following the Godra train massacre.Their little boy went missing during the riots.Sarika (playing Shenaz the mother of the boy) and Naserudin Shah ( playing Cyrus , his dad) have given the best performances I have seen in recent times.The little girl and boy who play their kids are also very natural and wonderful.Though the boy playing Parzan has very little screen time , he makes such an impression on the audience- that along with Sarika and Nasserudin we grieve and mourn and pray for him.
I felt so bad and ashamed that there are still some religious fanatics in this day and age who slaughter innocent people in the name of religion- all backed by the government and law enforcement officials.Whatever little doubt I had about the government's claims of being secular was blown away when I read that this movie has been banned in Gujarat. That is clear proof that everything in the movie is true.
After a long time, I cried after watching this movie.I cried uncontrollably for more than an hour. The HD, who fell asleep was a little irritated that I was crying over a movie-- but he did agree with me after he saw the movie the next day.
Some observations on seeing the movie.
1) Why did they have to portray the family as a Parsi family?why not a Muslim family?Did they not want to get into the pro-Islam wagon? The boy( Azhar) whose story this is based on , I think is a Muslim.Why did they not use facts?
2) I think the fact that the movie was in English played down the authenticity of the characters.
3) The cliched character of the Gandhian old man( who even resembles Gandhiji) could have been avoided.
4) The American guy in the movie-- why did he have to swear so much?
These are just minor nitpicks-- I think the movie was definitely a worthy watch.Every Indian needs to watch it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

U did what u said ma.....I completely agree with you..Movie was really touching...every indian should watch it.

Daisy said...

Thanks Dallu.I know you were moved by the movie too :)

RP said...

I just started reading your blogs....n..wnna correct you on the first point..why did they have to portray the family as parsi?

thts because it is really a parsi family tht suffered in this incident n not a musilm family...i remember seeing the prime show on ndtv.com whn the movie was released whn the real parsi family was on the show (feb)...

Daisy said...

Rahul,
Welcome to my space. Thanks for the correction.
I read in a review that the film was based on a muslim family.That was cleared by this link.

http://www.hinduonnet.com/fline/fl2404/stories/20070309001608200.htm