Monday, March 3, 2008

Paniyaram


I absolutely adore this dish.This is the ultimate comfort food for me, next only to curd rice. I had been craving for paniyaram for 3 days and decided to make it last night. We had some dosai batter left at home and so I made it in no time.

Recipe
onion- 1/2 chopped into small pieces.
dosa batter (fermented).
chilli-3-4 pieces.
Asafoetida power- add to taste
channa daal/urad daal/mustard seeds/curry leaves- for garnishing.
Fry the onions in oil till golden brown.add the garnishing ingredients and asafoetida powder. Add the green chili and fry for 2 min.
Add all of the above into the dosa batter. Add salt to taste.
Coat the kuzhis of the paniyaram chatti with oil and heat it.Pour the batter into the kuzhis. Cover the chatti and let it cook on low fire. Once the underside of the paniyarams are crispy, turn them around and let them cook for a bit. Take them out and serve hot with coconut chutney!

Paniyaram
always brings back memories of home for me. When ever I used to come back home from the college hostel, this is the tiffin that would greet me for my first dinner at home. Even now, when I go back home, this is the first meal I have.A lovely home made easy and tasty dinner/snack!

8 comments:

MK said...

hmmmm.you diet vandaliser :)))Still this is a new direction for your blog :)...

Loga said...

aaha mathiyana nerthail ippadi oru photo vera..pasiyey kilaputhey :-)

Daisy said...

@MK,
hehehe..this is one of the healthy indian dishes.. very little oil, steam cooked - ofcourse no protein or vitamins.:)

@Loga
hehe..naane 3 days a crave pannitu irunthen.. finally made it yesterday.. weekend vaa.. panni tharen

Daisy said...

ooo Loga BTW, ithu naan panina paniyarathoda pic illa.. some pic from the web.. but , if I may say so myself, naan panninadum decent than vandhuchu.

Diana said...

hey ramya... paniyaram looks yummy... (tho its not ur pic)
am sure ur dish would have come out really tasty! ;)

Bargavi Karthik said...

hey..this photo really makes me jealous..last week only i tried and all the paniyarams got sticked in chatti..me tried a lot but did'nt come out:))

Daisy said...

@ di,
I liked it.. hehe.. BTW, how did you find my blog?

@ baru,
its not my pic.. but mine did turn out pretty ok..oo I got this wonderful non-stick chatti from India. you shd try it..

Diana said...

i had visited ur blog lonnnnnnnnnng time back thru ur orkut profile (via firefox), then i stopped using firefox...
when i opened firefox a couple of days back.. the link was there in my history.... but couldnt figure out whos blog it is... when i went into ur 2007 blogs i realized it was u..... the last i read was "things i like/dislike abt india and us" .... added to it was loga, baru's links in urs... ;)