I saw above video in a friend's orkut account and it touched such a raw nerve in me- because I went to one such institution.Although, in retrospect, things were much better back then- heck I am married to my best friend from college!and I am not an anomaly- I have many friends who are married to their classmates :)
Here are some of the MORONIC rules these so-called Moral policemen have come up with.
1) Girls and Boys cannot talk
According to them, this is the root cause of all evil.Seriously, how can you expect engineering professionals to study in such an environment and then survive in the competitive-cut throat world, where communication and Marketing are the key things for survival?
The sad part is most students in these colleges come from non-urban areas. They grow up in conservative homes and don't have public speaking skills. The professional colleges, which are supposed to be the places where these soft skills are nurtured, curb them further and bury the students with inhibitions!
These are mature 18 and 19 year olds , who are budding professionals ,for God's sake!
It is very sad to see that the college watchman has more respect from the management, than the engineers in the making!
There was this very very conservative professor( I don't want to call a teacher stupid- hence the restraint) who was handling a lab for my class in our third year of engineering.Once the whole class was in the lab , after hours , at around 7pm, because we had to catch up on some microprocessor assignment.The power went out.
Guess what she did?
She made all the girls go outside the lab because- and this was her own words- she did not want any "mishaps" with the boys! How cheap and perverse can you get? What does she think of the students? This was most humiliating for us and more so for the guys! After our final year, were asked to give feedback on the professors to the principal. My friend and I went up to him and narrated this incident to him and told him that professional students should be treated with some amount of dignity. His response- "its for the girls' safety".YUCK!
In all my years in India, I have never been eve teased or physically pained by any guy in my class or anyone younger than 25 for that matter. It has always been the middle aged perverts!Heck- I have had some teenager or 20-something whistle at me or throw a comment or two- never anything vulgar .
Some of the best friendships(with guys) I made are from college.I know of so many guys and girls in my class who are still good friends.
2.Dress code
We had a cultural club in college - for all the inter collegiate competitions, girls would get "western " costumes and would even dance with guys! What hypocrisy I say!
I don't know where these Moral policemen came from? maybe from the 18th century?
Although these things make my blood boil, there were a couple of things I really appreciate.
1. No ragging on campus
I joined college two years after the whole Navarasu case happened. It was such a rage back then.So, this rule was actually a relief.We did have some "controlled" ragging in our department initiation- it was fun and safe.I think all colleges should adopt this.
2.No smoking/drinking on campus- even visitors
I so agree with this one-I know kids can sneak things through and I know that there are other places where they have access to it- but this is one step in the right direction.
On one hand, we have our country progressing leaps and bounds economically - on the other hand,some people are just taking us backwards in time-to the 18th century.. no make that 14th century!
9 comments:
This is extremely saddening and infuriating. These highly regressive people have no idea that they are spoiling lives, not protecting them.
oh no..I missed a lot and lot and lot of post...I did not think that you will update fast..Anyway..Happy anniversay..and for your 50th post. Your panniyaram looks yummy...The conversation is funny...The funniest part is trying to get engaged before his salary increases.....Ahh I liked it..Will read the rest...
Aryan's mom
@ NC,
yeah! exactly my point!
@Aryan's mom,
Welcome back! we missed you..yeah have been on a posting spree the last coupla weeks :)
very thought provoking one!....
i dont know if u remember this...
there was a rule book give to us for ladies hostel... and it even had some rules for sleeping! lol
and all the military life we had even in our hostel... no talk... no noise... forced to eat even if the food tastes yuck!..
hmm... we didnt have independence even within our own gender group...
am glad its in the past now! ;))
Hi Daisy, been a silent reader for a while now, wanted to respond to this...WTF..this really sucks...am basically frm Blore, and have been in Chennai for abt 4 yrs, always wondered why this city (and state)still dwells in the 18th century as u said. The colleges have such 'strange' rules. Am sure all of us wud agree to this one, the more u try to grip the sand within ur fist, its only gonna slip away.
PS: If I may say this, u have a lovely blog and like ur posts, a better template and header wud only enhance it. :)
@ Praveen,
Welcome.yes- the system and the people making the rule- both SUCK!
Abt your comment on my blog template/header- no offense taken.. I know I should spend more time on it.. sigh.. hopefully soon.. also, if you have any template in mind, please fwd it to me..(hehe I am lazy you see)
That was no conservative teacher, shw was STUPID and ASININE! How RUDE!
Just finished seeing that clipping. How awful! The poor students miss out on the wholesome fun and frolic of college days..
And that hypocrite of a Princi says the separate stairs are so that nobody stamps on the girls' dresses.. so the girls do not trip...he doesn;t even have enough conviction to defend the true motive behind the segregation.
Nice Post...!! This actually remembered my college (our college). Recently saw an talk show in Vijay TV, which mentioned that IT people were spoiling the culture(dating, pub, discos). I was irritated to hear the same coz all guys are not spoilt as soon as entering IT industry. But After seeing the clipping i could understand, how much students are supressed in the college to interact with opp sex ? This kind of dictatorship really spoils their freedom and their confidence.
Gr8 Article...!!
Post a Comment